St John the Baptist Church

Listed Grade II*

Apart from the Norman chancel arch, and the lower stages of the 13th century tower, the church was generally rebuilt in the 14th century, when the south aisle was added. The chancel was rebuilt from the bases of the windows upwards by E Christian, who restored the church in 1882. The upper stage of the tower is 14th century with a small spire. The blue lias stone on the north of the nave has so deteriorated that it has been patched up with brick. The chancel arch is probably early 12th century, but of unusual design. The arch is enriched with intersecting zigzag moulding, with a grotesque keystone, almost certainly the devil’s face, under a double row of billet moulding, and supported on jamb shafts with scalloped capitals. The tower arch is 15th century with concave mouldings. The south arcade is most striking; it has four bays, octagonal piers, and a good series of corbel heads, mostly of men with hair curled in the fashion of the time of Edward II and III. (There are more faces outside and within the porch.)The aisle has a14th century wagon roof and a 14th century piscina with a crocketed canopy. The walls of the aisle and chancel are scraped. The chancel has a piscina with a cinquefoil head and a double 14th century decorated aumbry . In the north east corner of the sanctuary a few medieval tiles remain. The octagonal font is 13th or early 14th century with bowl and stem cut out of one block of stone. The pew ends are copies of 15th century panels. In the east window the crucifixion is 14th century glass and there are fragments of glass dating from that time in the south aisle, east window. The drum, part of the orchestra before the church had an organ, has the Royal Arms of 1817. Also here are the village stocks. The chalice dates from 1696. In the chancel are three tablets by w & J Stephens of Worcester: Sarah Carne died 1807, Susanna Buckle, 1816 and Thomas White, 1771. There are slate tablets with incised lines and Rococo ornament to William Buckle, 1803 by Cooke, William White, 1807 by Millard & Cooke and Noah Buckle, 1834 by Cooke.

Buildings of England, edited by Nikolaus Pevsner
Gloucestershire: The Vale and the Forest of Dean by David Verey
and Arthur Mee
’s Gloucestershire

SERVICES

The regular services are:

1st Sunday of the month     11am Holy Communion (BCP)
2nd Sunday of the month     11am Morning worship
4th Sunday of the month      11am Holy Communion (BCP)

Amendments and additions to this are published in the Severnside magazine each month.

CONTACTS

For baptisms, weddings or funerals
Vicar:

Rev Canon Barbara Messham
The Vicarage, The Green, Apperley, Gloucester GL19 4DQ
Tel: 01452 780880
barbaramessham@gmail.com

Associate Priest
Revd Charles Whitney
01684296764
whitneyok@sky.com
Day in Benefice: Monday

Licensed Reader
Mrs Mary-Ann Preece
01452 840621

Local Ministry Team
Mary-Ann Preece 01452840621
Kay Mundy 01452 780634
Roger Taylor 01452 780561
Pat Gordon 01452 780417

For general enquiries
Churchwardens:
Mr Nigel Horner
Chaceley Court, Chaceley, Gloucester GL19 4EH
Tel: 01452 780347

Mr Bernard Swan
The Sandlings, Corse Lawn, Gloucestershire GL19 4LU
01452 780567

Secretary to the Parochial Church Council
Nigel Horner, Chaceley Court, Chaceley, Gloucestershire GL19 4EH
01452 780347